How I reduced the electricity consumption of our house by 20%
Posted on:December 02 2022
- I reprogrammed our air heat pump to only provide hot water in the morning instead of doing this twice or three times a day. Nobody of the family members really noticed. In case we need to use more hot water later during the day (like for taking a bath) you can now simply press a button and wait 20 minutes. Works surprisingly well.
- I drive an electric car and now usually drive at maximum around 100 km/h instead of previously 130 km/h on the Autobahn. This causes a significant reduction of power usage, and I need to charge the car less often. I didn't notice that I arrive much later - I only usually have about 20 km of Autobahn to drive - but it makes a difference.
- My wife reduced the amount of times where she changes the bedclothes by about 50%, reducing the time where the washing machine and dryer is running quite a lot.
- I reduced the room temperature by about one degree celsius. It wasn't a very noticeable change, but - especially when it's very cold outside - this caused quite a change in energy consumption. I think I might reduce it again by one further degree - let's see.
- I got digital thermostats and programmed them to lower the temperature of rooms when they are usually not used - like when the children are in school. Worked nicely.
We've used about 15000kwh last year, this year it's "only" about 12000kwh anymore. Together with some government energy incentives, I received a payback of 800€ for my electricity bill, instead of the expected payment increase. That's really nice.
My family consists of 6 people and we have an electric car and an air heat pump, so we have quite a high electricity bill - but this opens still a lot of space for further optimizations. Let's see if I can still squeeze out a bit more in the near future.
Today, I finally received my yearly electricity bill:
I managed to reduce our power consumption by about 20% and recieved a pay back of 800€. Here is what we did to make this:
|Link ||[url] www.example.com [/url] |
|Bold ||[b]bold text[/b] |
|Quote ||[quote]quoted text[/quote] |
|Code ||[code]source code[/code] |