Then, Electron arrived (basically it's a way to bundle your website in a package together with the Chrome browser and pretend you created a native app), and I thought:
"Woha! Why not make a real native app out of my WebGL game? I only put it into Electron and that's it!"
I did that, and Electron worked surprisingly well. Nice piece of software. But the result wasn't very convincing: Although I put a lot of effort into making the electron app feel like a native app instead of a HTML site, it had a lot of drawbacks like input lag, lack of hardware, 3D and fullscreen settings, bad working cursor locking and similar.
The port was done within a handful of weekends and the game is now a native Win32 C++ program. You can try it if you like.
For now, I'm developing my game further in C++. And hope to have it finished within the next months. You can follow its progress on its website, if you like.
here. The game now runs at about 150 FPS instead of the felt 10 FPS when it ran inside a browser.
I also re-created the gameplay video with that build, I think you can see now that it feels much, much smoother now:
Any feedback of the build would be welcome, it is just a 12 MB download.
It is a bit abrupt, but the only way to keep the player from climbing over it. I think 120 kmē is still enough to play the game and have fun.