Maybe you remember, a few months ago, I started the game development news website, where people can post their game development tool related news. That website is for game development news, not for game news, but - also probably because marketing your own game is very hard and people become desparate - I get a lot of news submissions about games on there. Which I have to ignore. But I read them, and I am shocked what people are submitting there. So based on this, here are some tips how to write your press releases:
- Include a link to your game and your game website. People won't take the time and try to figure out where your game website is, using a search engine.
- Some people even submitted press release texts with the note that there isn't a website yet for their game. Seriously? Create a website for your game! It isn't that hard. (Shameless plug: here is a nice, simple website editor, if you don't know how to do this)
- It is always a good idea to include at screenshot. Or a link to a screenshot. It is a game after all. Texts on the internet without images aren't read that much anymore.
- Use simple words. People are lazy, and tend to simply want to copy and paste large parts of your text. This increases the change of your press release to get published.
- I can't believe I'm writing this, but seriously: Look out for the spelling. Do a spell check before submitting your text. Some of the press release texts I received were even unreadable, due to the many errors.
NSA spying program PRISM and the EU cookie law.
So I thought it would be a good idea to get rid of all unncessary cookies, and to remove traffic routed through the USA. The first big step thing I did in order to do this was to remove Google Analytics from my main website, Ambiera.com: No longer will all data of my visitors be sent to the Google Servers. Additionally, I wanted to replace it with an alternative which can work without cookies. So I researched a bit, stumbled upon Piwik, installed it, and was happy. And boy, Piwki is great! Here's what it looked like for me after I installed it:
Everything works just like Google Analytics. You only have to install it on a webserver, and add a tracking code to your websites. You can modify that code even to work without cookies. It has a realtime view of current visits to your website, and you can easily filter your statistics into different segments. And you have full control of it. It runs on your own SQL database, after all. Im really impressed by this software.
So just by replacing Google Analytics with Piwik, the website is now much nicer, regarding the above mentioned two points. I'll do this with my other websites as well soon.
CopperCube. It was a lot of work, but still there is space for improvements. But I'm happy that it's out now. I also wrote a tutorial on how to create a first person shooter game without programming, and there is a new logo image:
You can download the new version from the CopperCube website, this update if of course free for existing users. There is a detailed list of changes, an also, all Irrlicht related features of course are still free, and will remain that way.
If you have twitter, it would be very nice if you could tweet about this :)
CopperCube. I like particularly this image which I just created:
That scene looks so much better with normal mapping applied. Especially in movement. I guess I have to update the demo on the website as well to include normal maps.
CopperCube is on its way now. It is much more than just a simple test already, and is actually usable. Here is a screenshot of the editor showing it in action, with more than just one light:
I implemented the shaders so they work on the most very basic hardware, and managed to squeeze out support for up to 5 lights (4 point lights + ambient light) for the same object, on pixel shader v 2.0 devices, with fallback for v1.1 ones, if there are ones still today. Remember that a lot of people are using very old and very slow hardware, compared to high level gaming PCs, especially if you count the mobile devices as well.
The problem when introducing new materials like this is that you have to write this for each target separately, not only adding support in the specific programming language, but also in each shader language. So I have to add this in:
- C++ for Direct3D using Vertex and Pixel Shader Assembly (I should switch to high level shaders on that target soon)
- C for OpenGL and GL_ARB vertex and fragment programs
- ActionScript and AGAL for Flash
- Java and OpenGL ES GLSL for Android